Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Joy in Chicken Nuggets

Whenever I can find ways to make good food for my family in an easier or faster way it makes me really happy. That is why I cook all of my ground beef after getting it home from the store. Then I separate it in small portions and freeze it. It really is amazing how much time it saves to be able to go to the freeze, pull out a bag of meat and add it to whatever dish I am making for dinner. I love it when I think to do this with chicken pieces too.

Because of this search for efficiency I sometimes take time to make several meals at once and put them in the fridge. I don't try to knock myself out or anything, but making lasagna or meatloaf while I am already cooking the meat goes a long way as far as stocking the freezer goes.

However, there are those days when there isn't time to cook a frozen meatloaf (mostly because I forget to take something out of the freezer the night before...I guess that will be something I need to work on). So I need some fast meals that don't skimp on goodness. I love having homemade burritos in the freezer. I have made both Elise's (my gourmet sister-in-law) yummy recipe and chicken enchilladas as burritos. But no matter how great a recipe there often comes a time for something new.

That day was today.

So along with the lasagna, meatloaf, and bags of cooked hamburger and chicken I also made homemade chicken nuggets. I had made them once before a long long time ago (almost in a galaxy far far away...afterall it was in college) and I remember them being so yummy. They still are! And so easy to make! It's wonderful that with a morning worth of work we had nuggets for lunch and lasgna for dinner and more leftover.

So today I am happy with a freezer stocked with food. (Let me know if you ever want to come over for dinner, I might even remember to take something out of the freezer the night before.)